Tara collaborated with me on the CAMERAskin Series. She is one of the two fabulously talented makeup artists I work with who understand the nuance of creating great actor headshots.
I asked Tara what she’s carrying in her bag & what would should be as an on-the-go actor:
- WATERPROOF EYELINER. Choose a color that most makes your eyes pop (Green Eyes : purples and plums, Brown Eyes : navy, royal & sapphire blues, Blue Eyes : chestnuts, deep browns). Dancers or performers needing a super dramatic look should try super black (my fav and really changes the name of the game)! recommend Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream/$23.”expensive but worth it”.
- TINTED LIP BALM. Perfect for actor head shots requiring a more natural mouth and dramatic eyes. Match the tint to whatever you’re auditioning for; funny may go a bit orange or red, professional may be cooler with taupes, more romantic, the berry family. Also it’s a great alternative to traditional lipstick — leave that heavy, thick feeling behind and get conditioner and skincare benefits! recommend Fresh Tinted Sugar Lip Treatments/$22. “expensive but worth it”.
- MAKEUP SETTING/FIXING SPRAY. THIS IS A MUST IN YOUR BAG! Do not cake on more complexion products (looks bad, old, and clogs pores)! Fixatives are great for a long day of auditioning. One or two spritzes will re-set your morning makeup and make it look extremely fresh! Keep healthy, youthful dewy skin. recommend Repechage/$15. “perfect product.. perfect price!”
- UNDER EYE BRIGHTENERS. Can’t leave home without them! You’ll always find one in my bag. They’re loaded with light reflecting pigments to blur any imperfections under the eye. Color correctives are great, ie., salmon tone to counteract tired blue and purple dark circles. Quick pick me ups. No one will ever known you’re on a 3rd audition and 3 hrs of sleep! recommend YSL Touche E’Clat/$40. "EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT… best on the market!"
- WATERPROOF FULL COVERAGE CONCEALER. Great for quick fixes and retain a natural look — no pancake face here. A little usually goes a long way, is seamless and the longevity is incredible! One of the most versatile products I know. (Tip : on the go you can use as your foundation if mixed with a primer or moisturizer). recommend Make Up For Ever Full Cover/$32. "expensive but worth it…a little goes a long way!"
see also —